A generous grant will go a long way in the restoration of a historic house in Djúpivogur, East Iceland, RÚV reports. The house, known as Faktorshús, was built in 1848 and was once home to the town’s shop manager.
Faktorshús is one of the two oldest houses in Djúpivogur, which has been a trading post for over 400 years. The other is Langabúð, a former shop. Both were constructed in the same period for Danish trading company Ørum & Wulff.
After a long period of neglect, Faktorshús was protected in 1990. Its outer walls have since been restored to their original wood-panelled appearance. Inside the house, however, there is still much work to be done, and a grant from the Cultural Heritage Agency of Iceland’s Architectural Heritage Fund will be a big help. “We received a [ISK] 10 million contribution [USD 100,000/EUR 80,000] now and that will help us with completing the middle floor of the house. This is so important to us and is a major milestone in moving the project forward,” stated Andrés Skúlason, Djúpivogur’s district council chairperson.
Much of the house’s original wood is in great condition. “The old timer is surprisingly good,” says Egill Egilsson, who is carrying out restoration of the building. “All of the rafters and the upper part of the house are original. You can’t compare the old timber with the new. We amused ourselves by counting the rings and got about 12-20 rings in the same space as one year in the new wood. It’s extremely thick and fine.”
It is not yet know what the house will be used for when it is fully restored, though one proposal is to create a center for entrepreneurs and scholars. “But that’s all in the works. First we want to finish the house and it won’t be a problem to find the appropriate project because it’s very sought after to get to work in such an environment in these old houses,” Egill stated.